TREASURES OF ALPS AND ADRIATIC
JOURNEY THROUGH SLOVENIA & NORTHERN CROATIA
TREASURES OF ALPS AND ADRIATIC
Wonderful combination of landscapes – the sea and the mountains, the rivers and forest, alpine lakes and karst caves, ancient roman cities and hillside villages – will leave you breathless. A visit to the scene of gladiator fights, the famous Arena in Pula, or a stroll through a splendid town of Rovinj and a walk through its narrow winding streets, a perpetual inspiration to artistic souls, isn’t all enough of a bait for you to come, see and experience?
A taste of what to expect…
Day 1 - Zagreb - Welcome to Croatia!
- Upon arrival at Zagreb airport, private transfer to your hotel will be organized
- Zagreb is the city of green parks, lovely fountains, blooming flowers and artisans performing on every street corner.
- Unravel the soul of the capital beneath the street facades; get behind the scenes meeting locals, their culture and a way of life.
- Visit the Cathedral, the medieval Stone gate, St. Mark’s church, the Upper town, Flower market square, Dolac Fruit & Grocery Market, the Central Square, and Tkalčićeva Street with its numerous charming cafés and restaurants.
- Free time to enjoy the city and its galleries, or its exhibitions such as the one of its kind - Museum of Broken Relationships.
Day 2 - Exploring the famous Postojna cave
- Short drive to Europe’s largest and the most visited karst cave systems – Postojnska Jama. A visit there includes a miner’s train ride for two miles into the world of unusual shapes, then a one hour walk and return to bright & warm surface. The cave is spectacular both in size and its shape.
- Visit of nearby picturesque Predjama castle built in the middle of a vertical 123-meter high cliff, once a home of a rebellion knight.
- Your driver will take you to beautiful Ljubljana, the Slovenian capital that maintains a relaxed atmosphere of a small central European university city.
Plan your journey
This unforgettable journey showcases just a few of our favourite experience combinations in these iconic destinations. It is merely an example from which you can use to start dreaming and creating your own adventure with one of our dedicated Travel Specialists.
Day 3 - Ljubljana, Slovenian capital
- Do some sightseeing of the city with a local guide: Dragon’s, Triple, Shoemaker’s bridges old medieval castle on the hill above the city center, colorful Baroque façades, and St. Nicolas Cathedral.
- The rest of day you can enjoy visiting the sights of Ljubljana – Ljubljana castle and soaking up the lively atmosphere along river Ljubljanica
Day 4 - Alpine fairytale, Bled & Bohinj lakes
- Enjoy the ride across Slovenia across the unique landscape of Alps toward magnificent lake Bled.
- Visit the Bled castle of a thousand-year history on a steep cliff above the lake where you will have the magnificent views stretch across the Julian Alps and Bled lake.
- Return to lake and ride by special Bled boat called Pletna to the island visiting the church of St. Mary. Its bell is a symbol of fulfilled wishes.
- In the afternoon drive toward another glacial lake – Bohinj, stretching into Triglav National park. Take a walk around the blue-green Bohinj lake or ride a bicycle or take a cable car lift to mountain Vogel enjoying wonderful nature and fresh alpine air.
Day 5 - Triglav National Park & Trenta valley
- Head on to the highest Slovenian mountain pass Vršić
- Enjoy Alpine vistas, sights of wild gorges, picturesque waterfalls and the view of the vibrant turquoise waters of the Soča river
- The emerald green river enables various water sports and numerous thematic trails run along the river that uncover the heritage of the First World War as well as other stories of the valley.
- Follow the path of the WW remains throughout the Soča Valley and visit the WW museum in Kobarid
- Meet the gastronomic tradition of the River Soča or treat yourself with world-class dishes in Michelin star restaurant Hiša Franko
Day 6 - Rovinj: relax, swim, taste local wines, experience eating at a local homestead
- In the morning head back to Croatia, to Istrian peninsula
- Istria is an amazing peninsula of fabulous interior medieval hilltop towns, charming coastal fisherman ports and cities. Head south towards the enchanting town of Rovinj on the Adriatic coast with its beautiful, architecturally intact old town center of a relaxed Mediterranean feel.
- Enjoy the walk in Rovinj along its narrow medieval streets lined by art galleries. The town is dominated by the St. Euphemia’s Church, that keeps relics of the saint and presents one of the most beautiful Baroque achievements in Istria
- From the church plateau there is a wonderful view of the open sea and numerous islets in the distance.
Day 7 - Food & wine of Istria
- Drive through Istrian hinterland and visit its villages situated on the top of the hills and small churches with medieval frescoes and taste some homemade food and taste excellent local wine – magic charm of Istrian inland should leave you breathless.
- Drive to Grožnjan – the town of artists and music and Motovun, indubitably the most famous Istrian medieval hilltop town.
- Visit a remarkable dairy farm and taste fabulous sheep’s, goat’s & cow’s cheese.
- In the afternoon, visit a local family of several generation truffle hunters. Enjoy truffle hunt experience with a help of specially trained dogs. Taste their homemade truffle produce and enjoy homemade pasta dishes in a nearby agro-tourism.
Day 8 - Zagreb
- Private transfer to the airport in Zagreb